JANEZEEEE

Friday, August 04, 2006

San Francisco Marathon- an athlete's lesson

Last Sunday, I was so inspired, it blew me off my feet. It made me realize that there's more to an athletic event other than being competitive and having that serious game face and mentality.

Last February, my good friend Azeen told me that she had signed up to raise money for AIDS research and education, but the catch was that she was going to run a marathon at the end of July. I only half believed her. When we were house mates, I would be leaving for a run, and she'd be sitting outside smoking her 3rd cigarette of the day. I took her once to the "Y" to swim laps with me, but I think she made it across the pool and back 5 times within 30 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't know whether or not to take this marathon business seriously. Well, a couple of months later, she was still sticking to the running routine and had stopped smoking. I told her the beginning of June that I would come watch her do her first marathon and even run the last 5 miles with her.

On July 30th I was up at 3:30 a.m. to drive 4 runners down to the start line. Our other friend, Monica, had driven into SF as well to cheer on Azeen. We went to the 12th mile marker to cheer for all of the runners and as we were standing there, an official mentioned that the 1st place person had just finished. Azeen had given us an estimated time of when she would be at all the mile markers, and she was close to schedule for the 12th mile. She came by and Monica and I whooped and hollered with huge grins on our faces. Azeen came by us with a big smile on her face. Shortly there after, the Sag wagon came by. The Sag wagon was driving along at a 6 hour marathon pace. Once the Sag wagon went by, all the baracades came up and the volunteers left the course. The streets were opened back up to traffic. I have to admit that I had never hung around any sort of running race to see what it is like in the back. It really opened my eyes. So many participants were thanking Monica and I for being out there early in the morning to watch them. Even though many of them looked like they were hurting, they were still thanking us. When I'm having a bad race and am hurting, the last thing I would think of to do is thank the spectators. What I really want to tell them is to stop yelling for me, I feel awful, probably have spit and snot all over my face, it's such a horrible race, just go away! It made me realize that even though these people in the very back weren't feeling great, they were still having a good time.

Then, Monica and I drove over to the 21 mile marker after finally getting some coffee around 11:30 am. We sat at the 21 mile marker looking at our watches every 5 minutes. The time for Azeen to pass had come and gone. The Sag wagon had also come and gone. The street was opened up to traffic and we were still sitting on the sidewalk cheering on marathoners. Some we even had to show which way to go because all of the cones were picked. Monica and I began to get worried, 40 minutes had passed from the designated time Azeen said she would be there. Next thing we knew, we saw someone that looked like Azeen turn the corner. We started yelling her name at the top of our lungs and jumping up and down. Here she came, with a grin. The first two things she said to me was, "I'm finishing this." and "Jane, I'm walking up the hills and don't say anything about it!" I fully understood her. I had been there before, completely bonked with nothing left in me. We all ran/walked the last 5 miles together. I was awed by Azeen's dedication and heart to finish the marathon. We were walking along side walks and having to wait for the walk signals to get across the streets. When she went through the finish line, Monica and I were so proud of her! Azeen taught me to keep going. Even when I know I'm out of the race, stop pouting, keep grinning and keep going all the way to the finish. I'm not sure what her marathon time was, and frankly I don't think it matters. Afterwards, Azeen started talking about doing a half in October in San Jose. I just grinned and gave her a big hug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home