JANEZEEEE

Monday, August 28, 2006

HH100 2nd edition & A Sag Wagon Tale

For some reason, I couldn't figure out how to post more pics, so I had to start another post for the rest of them...oh well...the learning curve is kind of long.


Sandra, Dainon and our great volunteers

Jesse tubbing it while flirting with anything female that walked by.

Chillin like Villans at the motel lobby

Race Report for the Hotter'n Hell 100K women's road race:

When I woke up at 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning, I was pouting. I was soooo tired from working and standing all day on my feet the day before. We didn't even get back to the motel until midnight! I taped my eyelids open so that they wouldn't shut on me and showed up at the start line around 6:45 am. (15 min. before my race.) At that time, it was already 85 F. My friend Michelle, showed up just after I did and as we were talking, her rear tire went flat. Bummer. There weren't neutral wheels, so she had to turbo back to her car to put on her rear training wheel with 10 minutes before the start of the race. I told Michelle that I would just hang out in the back until she caught back on. Well, the 17 racers of the Women's Cat1-3 field started just before the sun came up. (17 is the normal number for a road race in this part of the country.) I was in fact happy to hang out in the back because all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. After about an hour, I hear Michelle next to me saying that she was warmed up. Wow, she did a whole hour time trial. By that time, I'd finally woken up and decided to go to the front and do some pulling. The second sprint line was coming up around mile 39. By this time, I was getting bored, and I knew Michelle was o.k. and had been able to rest for a few miles, so I figured to start some trouble. After the sprint point, everyone sat up to catch their breath and for the group to get back together. At this exact moment is when I attacked from the left. I felt fine, until I turned South and the wind just smacked me. (I was having nasty flash backs of Nature Valley.) When the group caught me, this rider came too close to my rear wheel and her front skewer lever went into my rear wheel. I felt a tug and my bike jerked a little and I heard a "ping". Oh man! When pulling her bike off of mine, not only did she break a spoke, but bent the rim a little. That ended my race, but not the adventures! I rode slowly for about a mile when I came upon Ron, a triathlete that was doing the men's 4 race. He had gotten a flat tire in his Zipps. After lamenting that our races being cut short sucked, the Junior's wheel truck passed us and I waved them down. Both Ron and I threw ourselves and our bikes in the back of the pick-up. Well, there's a first for everything, and this was my first to take the sag wagon. At least I had great company along the way. I would suggest to any sag wagon to have a cooler with martinis and margaritas in the back of it, especially if it's over 95F.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home